From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Smith
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 5:09 PM
To: 'TCLUG Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [TCLUG] New to list with a question

What kernel are you running..
As of  03-06-03 - The IDE patches are integrated into the RedHat
2.4.20-13.9 kernel update So you can just rpm in a new kernel. You can
see if yours is working with (hdparm -t /dev/hda) You should get nearly
30mb/s as opposed to the low single digits...

Anyhow.. You might find this links useful though not the exact model of
laptop.

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/G.Wilford/Inspiron8500/

Regards,

Chris Smith