On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Munir Nassar wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Jim Streit wrote:
>
> > Tar to a temporary drive? or can I some how tar it to the other box directly?
>
> sure you can, look at netcat (nc under redhat)
>
> on the server:
> tar -czpvf - | nc -l -p <port>
>
> and on the client
> nc server <port> | tar -czvf -
>
> NOTE: make sure you have a backup and test this beforehand.

Or else via ssh:

$ ssh sourcesystem "tar czpvf - dir" | tar xf -
or
$ tar czpvf - dir | ssh destinationsystem "tar xf -"

Yea, it will be slower then nc because of the overhead of ssh, but you
can do it in one shot and it will be secure too.

Personally I use rsync in verbose mode so I can see what's going on.
Plus you can restart it if it dies without restarting the entire copy
again.