> 500Mhz and 192Meg of RAM is slow???!!!!

It's not slow, but sometimes I run out of memory.  As time goes on,
this happens less frequently however.

> My primary is a 750Mhz Duron with 768Meg of RAM running Win98SE
> (yeah,
>
> yeah, I know).
> My secondary is a 400Mhz Intell with 384Meg of RAM running
> Mandrake9.1
>
> and it works great. Actually both PCs work great. I have no problems
> with "speed" on either machine.

you have quite a bit more memory than I do.

> I may be way off base here,(let the flames begin!) but it seems that
> Redhat is following in Microsoft's footsteps by "bloating" the
> so-called
> "basic" system, which in turn creates a slower system. At least with
> SUSE you can choose a "bare-bones" install. My advice. Reload the
> system
> and this time manually go through the applications that are loaded
> and

but wouldn't that just take up room on my hard drive, not my memory?

> prune out some of the stuff that you never use, maybe even consider
> going with Slackware or VectorLinux or Debian. I've got a great
> article
> that I printed out that guides you through installing a very "base"
> Debian system, I think it takes less than 500Megs of disk space. I
> could
> probably scan it and send it out, or maybe even find the URL on the
> printout. I never accept the "default" application load on any
> operating system, Linux or Windows.

I plan on trying out a lot of different distros, but most of my memory
is taken up by X and gnome, how's redhat actually come into play here?
Could it be that gtk takes up more space than related windows libraries
and that when I use mozilla, this results in stuff in memory not doing
anything?  I'll repeat that actually right now, my system isn't going
into virtual memory but when I was first using it, that would happen
constantly, even when using the same apps.