On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Clay Fandre wrote:
> Yea, I've read this, but still doesn't answer my questions. What is the
> *minimum* system required with a hardware encoder? (and no
> record/playback at the same time, etc) If my G400 can do both encoding
> and decoding, the system doesn't need to be all that powerful, right?
>
> Now I just need to find an old system with an AGP slot. Anyone?

Sorry, I misread - thought you said if you do *not* have a hardware
encoder.

If you've got a hardware encoder and decoder in an AGP slot, I'd say you
should be ok with any p2. Of course, YMMV.  :)  I'm using a P3-667 on one
of my boxes with a hardware encoder, and it seems to decode just fine.

I know that one problem people have run into with the WinTV PVR's and
older systems is that many older systems do not support busmastering on
the PCI slots, and the card won't work without it. This doesn't apply as
much with AGP, though, unless AGP1x/2x are too slow to transfer the data
to your hard drive.