On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Nate Carlson wrote:

> See:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1
>
> - A P3-733 can encode using MPEG-4 at 480x480; cannot decode at the same
>   time.
>
> - A P3-800 can encode with RTJPEG at 480x480 and watch it at the same time
>
> - A Dual-Celeron 450 can decode a 480x480 MPEG-4 file with ~30% CPU usage
>
> So, for Live TV watching with a software encoder, probably want a P3-800
> or better.

Yea, I've read this, but still doesn't answer my questions. What is
the *minimum* system required with a hardware encoder? (and no
record/playback at the same time, etc) If my G400 can do both encoding
and decoding, the system doesn't need to be all that powerful, right?

Now I just need to find an old system with an AGP slot. Anyone?