Sam MacDonald wrote:

> I've seen several people looking for Open Source Projects to
> participate in so I'm posing this to both groups.
>
> Lets say I have a laptop (toshiba, compaq, what ever) configured as
> follows.
> Pentium 166mhz, 1.5 - 2 gig hard disk, 32 mb ram, 12 in display, 10
> mbit nic, external mouse & trackpoint or touch pad, _no_ CDROM (well
> maybe a CDROM).
>
> I want to put Linux on it with X Windows, OpenOffice and MySQL (maybe
> PHP?).  I want to have enough disk space for storing the database and
> documents.  Remember this is for business.
>
> What distribution should I use, I want it to be easy, "free", and stable?

I have an HP Omnibook 800CT that I had running RH 8.0 with a 2GB drive.
It did a lot of thrashing running gnome so I switch to one of the small
windowing packages, blackbox I think, and that helped some but its still
mostly for e-mail when I'm traveling (the 800CT is a small
sub-notebook). You might want to look at something with a smaller
footprint - at one point I had considered Gentoo or Peanut Linux.

> Yes this has to do with the computer disposal business I'm getting
> started.  I don't want to start with M$ because, well, I'm broke
> :-[     and then I would have to file chapter 13 after I bought it :-D
>
> I've only been a Cobol programmer (2 years), I've done a little (very
> little) PHP out of the book, a bunch of HTML,  and a touch of
> JavaScript.  I was trained as a structured (top down) programmer.
> This new fangled action-reaction stuff drives me a little buggy.
>
> The database would have very few tables and fields, I'm no dba so...
> Tables
>    customers
>        business names, contact names, addresses, phone numbers, other
> such information
>    customer inventory
>        CPU serial number, Display serial number, HD serial number,
> Asset Tag number.
>    (not sure what else)

I use postgres for most stuff, but you'll probably want something a bit
smaller like mysql or pheonix. If its going to be a small database you
could always use a flat file database, or dBase, or even something like
shsql. But, to keep life simple you'll probably want something that is
supported by ODBC and/or Perl DBI , php PEAR, etc.

> 1. Can I use the spread sheet within OpenOffice to create a data input
> and reporting system?            I would also like to use Writer for
> certificates that get data from the database as well.

OO will work against databases that are supported by ODBC, which for
linux means looking at the unixODBC project. I've played with the ODBC
connection using OO under XP so I can't vouch for the unix version,
although my impression is that getting unixODBC up and running under
Linux is the hard part.

Newsforge had a piece today about theKompany  releasing a version of
Rekall which provides a lot of the forms and reporting capabilities that
you get with Access.

--rick