Robert P. Goldman wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions about debugging cups?  I have a
If the cups are made of glass, I look for cracks. If a glass cup is
cracked you should recycle it! ;-)
Call me a smart a$$.

> Samsung printer and I find that cups bogs down depressingly often.

What do you mean by "bogs down"? Please be more specific.

> Everything just goes to sleep in the middle of a print job, often

Ditto for "goes to sleep".

> after printing just the first page.  But then, when I restart cups
> (this is Mandrake, so it's /etc/rc.d/init.d/cups restart), everything
> comes back.

Ditto for "comes back". CUPS has a web interface which may be more
useful and provide more info.

> I was just hoping someone might be able to suggest where to begin.
> I.e., should I look for some common factor in the ps that's going to
> the printer?  Is there some way to tell what state the system's in

If cups "bogs down" on certain documents but not others then I might
suspect postscript. I sorta doubt it's a postscript problem though.

> when it bogs (there's no visible data interchange with the printer;
> there are entries still in the queue)?  I'm willing to work at it; I
> just don't know where to start.

The 'top' command might tell you who's busy. We also need to know more
about your set up: what kind of printer is it? is it connected to a
computer or right on the network? do you have machines with multiple
OS's accessing the printer? do they all behave the same?

--
Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff
rick at eworld3.net