On 13 Nov 2003 20:34:06 -0600
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com> wrote:

> I just noticed that the .bash_history file is gone on a box that I am
> supposedly the only one with root access. RedHat 7.2. Can anyone think
> of a legitimate reason why the history might vanish?

Unless root's ~/.bash_logout contains a line to rm or otherwise modify the .bash_history, the possibilities are few.

A bad shutdown, at a time the file was open for writing could potentially have caused its loss.. but otherwise, the obvious conclusion is that *someone* ran as root, did some work, and decided to try to cover their tracks in a simplemided fashion.

-L