On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 22:32, rware at interplastic.com wrote:
>  You were playing with rm and * ;)

I indeed was using rm -i ./* in a completely different directory. I
thought I contained my deletion to the files I intended to delete.

I did download and run chrootkit which did not find anything. I did not
not boot the machine clean though, I just ran it.

I also have been running tripwire on this machine for over a year.
Tripwire finds nothing.

I did find out that a software developer does have root access to this
machine, and he did su. I do completely trust this person (should I?)
and he does have every right to be root on this machine and a legitimate
need. I did not realize he wrote down the password I gave him
months ago. He claims he did nothing to the history.

Can anyone think of a way I or my colleague could have inadvertently
cleared the history? I know history -c will do the job but I don't see
how that could be done by mistake.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid but it bothers me. If someone is good
enough root this box and to hide it from both chkrootkit and tripwire
you would think they would have just deleted the the incriminating lines
from the history so they would not be discovered.

- Tom

--
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>