I'm not sure about 9.0, as I switched to Gentoo late last year.  However, I'm
confident that older Slack installs will work like a champ.  If you need it
bad I've got several old sets of Slackware. My first one is based around the
0.96 Linux kernel if that gives you any feel how long I've been using
Slackware :-)

As for the distro choice.  I'd recommend both Slackware and Gentoo for anyone
who wants to get familier with how Linux really works.  Gentoo is the best
tweaker's distro right now IMHO.  Basically, if you want to compile (think
optimize) your entire system yourself go with Gentoo.  If you'd rather just
download binary packages, use Slackware.  Both are rock solid if administered
correctly (don't expect things to be stable if you install a bunch of alpha
packages).

Ben Maas - Technology Architect
Open Technology Systems, LLC
eMail: bmaas at open-techsys.com