On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 08:57:06AM -0600, Tim Wilson wrote:
> I'm trying to install some Perl modules using CPAN. (I don't know much
> about Perl or CPAN unforutnately.) I'm getting the following error
> message when I try to use this program to install the dependencies
> necessary to run the RT issue tracking software that I asked the list
> about recently:
>
> [root at forums rt-3-0-6]# perl sbin/rt-test-dependencies --with-postgres
> --with-modperl1 --install
> perl:
>         5.8.0...found
> MASON dependencies:
>         Params::Validate 0.02...MISSING
> CPAN: Storable loaded ok
> Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
>
> gzip: /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz: not in gzip format
> Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
>
> gzip: /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz: not in
> gzip format
> Warning: Your /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
> does not contain a Line-Count header.
> Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more
> than one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to
> happen.
> Warning: Your /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
> does not contain a Last-Updated header.
> Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more
> than one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to
> happen.
> Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
>
> gzip: /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz: not in gzip format
>
> Is it possible that whatever external program that is being used to
> download these files is doing the gunzip on the fly and messing up the
> perl script that is expecting a .gz file? Any other suggestions?

Have you done anything with CPAN yet?  If not, then the package files
won't be there.  What does 'ls -lR /root/.cpan/sources/' say?

If they're missing, you can do:

  # perl -MCPAN -e shell

to set up your CPAN module.  That might download them.

'perldoc CPAN' for gory details.

--
trammell at el-swifto.com  9EC7 BC6D E688 A184 9F58  FD4C 2C12 CC14 8ABA 36F5
Twin Cities Linux Users Group (TCLUG)      Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota