If you don't mind feedback from a relative newbie, I would also suggest
you consider Slackware.

I started this March with Mandrake, and I'm still running it one one
machine. I have Slackware on a 2nd machine now, and I am finding it
faster and more stable.  Also, for getting to know Linux, Slackware
seems to be more streamlined and simple.  It is designed to give you
full control over the machine. Mandrake has their GUI control center,
but I find it more confusing than Slackware to get behind the GUI at the
config files - there seems to be an extra level of complexity.

Hint - once you get Slackware installed and go in as root, be sure to
check your email with Pine.

If I were starting over, knowing what little more I do now, I think I
would just go with Slackware from the beginning.

--
Cheers,

Charlie Obert

 " There is no energy crisis, food crisis or environmental crisis.
There is only a crisis of ignorance."

- R. Buckminster Fuller