From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org [mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Shawn
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 9:36 PM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] I need distribution input

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:27:34 -0600
"PHPTOm" <phptom at wordesign.net> wrote:

> I am still a beginner as far as linux is concerned.  If a new distro
> is going to require hours and hours of troubleshooting/updating, I
> should probably stay with redhat.
>
> My obtuse question is this: what is a solid distro that is not
> underneath a huge corporation like redhat is that a beginner can use?

My recommendation:

Slackware.  Good, solid distribution.  Requires a fair amount of tweaking, and doesn't auto-detect like RedHat, Suse, or Mandrake does.  But, on the other hand it's a great way to cut your teeth, and learn more about Linux.  Pretty simple install to.

As to searching for security updates, and recompiling the solution to that is fairly simple.  Subscribe to the Slack-Announce and Slack-Security mailing lists.  Then, to upgrade the package it's pretty simple:

#upgradepkg packagename.tgz

Does it for you...

I've got it running on a relatively new system:  P4 2.53GHz, 1 GB Ram, and a GeForce4 ti4200 128MB video card.  Works just fine, and is plenty fast.

I'll even make a copy of the 9.1 distro discs for you if you want...

--
Shawn

 "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of fear."
	-Mark Twain

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"