Hi everyone,

I'm going to be setting up an "issue tracking" system on a Linux system
soon and I wonder if any of you would be willing to share any
experiences. I've done a lot of googling and looking at various Web
sites. I've found a couple packages that run on top of Zope, some PHP,
and one Java-based one. Any of those platforms is fine with me. As long
as they support MySQL or Postgres I don't really care about the db
backend.

The goal is to implement a system where technical support people from
various schools in the district where I work can add items to a queue
and assign responsibility for repairs. Ease of use is a plus since many
of the people who may use the system aren't necessarily very geeky.
(Odd, I know.) One program I looked at (http:/helpdesk.oneorzero.com/)
allowed people to submit "tickets" without having a login. This would
allow teachers to add items without the extra hassle of managing
another set of passwords. We can put it on a password-protected
intranet to prevent virtual passersby from adding anything.

I'm not opposed to spending some money for such a beast, but at this
point the entire concept is pretty new to almost everyone and I don't
want to shell out big bucks for a system that doesn't get used much. So
free/open source would be a plus at this stage and would have the added
benefit of helping me push the FOSS concept more.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson