On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Rick Meyerhoff wrote:
> I started looking at the man man page and tried:
> man -K <section> <string>
>
> but I was not happy with the results. Notice that the 'K' is upper case.

 Using the wonderfully self-referencial `man man`, we find:

       -K     Search for the specified string in *all* man pages. Warning:
              this is probably very slow! It helps to specify a section.
              (Just to give a rough idea, on my machine this takes about a
              minute per 500 man pages.)

 If you want to specify the volume you want to view, it seems to be `man
# name`, i.e., `man 3 printf` (as `man printf` would show printf(1)).
 Not seeing a way in whatis/apropos to specify on-the-fly.  Annoying.  I
tend to use a grep hack, myself.

     Jima