On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Michael wrote:

> Does anyone know what the password that Linux uses when you create a user from the comand line is?  I created a user using the following syntax:

there is no default password.

> /user/sbin/useradd  -c "Latest user" -g free_email -n -d /u02/free_email/homes/latuser latuser

> This creates an account for latuser and locks the account.  I also see that there is a password entered for that user, do you know what that is?

iirc it does not lock the account, PAM is usually set to not allow null
passwords, and as such an account with no password appears to be locked.

> When I sue the following syntax, the account is not locked but, again, the password is not "word999" as I specified with the -p option.

i sure hope you meant use, as sueing a syntax would be rather fruitless.

> /user/sbin/useradd  -c "Latest user" -g free_email -n -d /u02/free_email/homes/latuser -p word999 latuser

the adduser man page says:
              -p passwd
              The encrypted password, as returned by crypt(3).  The default is
              to disable the account.

so yes, the account is not locked but the password is set to whatever get
crypted to word999

> Does anyone know what the default password is?

again, there is none.

your best bet is to create a script that crypts the password and then
feeds that into the adduser command,
perl is best used for this as there is no crypt command afaik

--
Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET