I think what the myfootpring.org website is trying to do is an attempt
to made us think. To think about how we as a people waste our resources.
I'm guilty of throwing away food that I could not eat. What I should
have done is prepare a meal that was the right portion. I've driven my
car when I should have walked. I've had my heat set at 78 degrees when
it should have been set at 68 degrees. I've worked 20 miles from where I
live, when I should have worked withing walking or biking distance.

I think the people behind the website may be trying to point out to us
that I may not be making the right choices when it comes to the way I
live. I live in a modest home, I drive modest cars, I have a small
fishing boat, I have 7 computers, 2 printers, several boom boxes, a 30
inch TV, a big stereo system, and 100's of books. I leave a light on all
night in the kitchen and I don't remember the original reason it's on
all night.

If I look at the waste I produce, I may waste less. I can't fully
explain why, but I know we as a people consume more then our "fare"
share. We are selfish and greedy when it comes down to the nuts and
bolts of living. The crime is that we don't realize what we are doing.

Zealots are on both sides of any issue.
When we make light of an issue
it shows a lack of understanding of the issue
it shows we do not have a valid argument against that issue
it shows a lack of understanding and reasoning
it shows we are in a defensive posture trying to protect something we
believe is our right
and in that _we choose_ to ignore reality.

In the words of Chief Seattle...

This we know,
the earth does not belong to us
We belong to the earth
This we know,
all things are connected
Like the blood which unites one family
all things are connected
This we know.

We do not own anything, the house I live in will exist when I have
turned to dust. In time no one will remember me because they never met
me. I can trace my family back to 1849 in this country but I do not know
these people, I have no true memory of them. Does that mean I should
ignore the people of 2200 when they say they can trace their family back
to 1849? Does that mean we don't at least think of leaving them
something? Will there be anything left for the people of 100, 200, 300
years from now? Do we really believe that the stars will provide for
humanity? Or will the stars laugh at our small existence telling us we
really only had 1 chance and leave us to die out?

We need to think beyond our door step, we need to think beyond our own
existence.

If we don't we will be looked at as a selfish, ignorant, cruel, and
forgotten planet of fools, if the beings of another world do arrive. If
they have already arrived, they have found us fools and not worth
talking to.

Sam.