On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 11:18, Richard Hoffbeck wrote:
> Sam MacDonald wrote:

> > These big companies spend money like it's water. They don't want to
> > pay people in this country a fair wage so they send the jobs to other
> > countries.  But it's just fine for them to spend $50m on a company to
> > get control of it.
> >
> Get use to it. In a world with unrestricted capital flows, global wages
> get equalized.
>
> --rick

Absolutely! As it should be. If a job can get done for less it helps
everybody. It Helps IBM be competitive. It helps the consumer pay less
for higher quality. It helps the people overseas raise their wage closer
to where it should be. It helps people like Sam to move on to a
occupation worthy of his wage.

Argue for unions, argue that IBM is immoral and evil for sending jobs
overseas all you like, I don't buy it.

I really don't mean this personally Sam, we are sorry IBM outsourced
your job to another county, but the sooner you can accept that people
and companies will ALWAYS take the cheapest solution the happier you
will be. You'll never convince me or the corporate world to spend more
to complete a job solely because it's the right thing to do. All they
are doing is paying people the wage they are asking for. There is
nothing wrong with that. What is right for you is not necessarily right
for everyone.

--
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>