And the installer (RH in my case) DOES install grub, but when your
installation doesn't come up the first time and needs some option on the
kernel line (how do you _add_ vga=ask in grub and then boot?), the ability
to do that should be either obvious when you're doing it, or documented
otherwise.
With grub (whose interface I now can manipulate -- albeit painfully) it's
neither.

Try this (pay attention to the space before hitting <tab>):
grub> root (hd0, <tab>
Error 1: Filename must be either an absolute pathname or blocklist

vs.
grub> root (hd0,<tab>
Possible partitions are:
   Partition num: 0,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xde
   Partition num: 1,  Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
etc...

grub> help boot
boot: boot
    Boot the OS/chain-loader which has been loaded.

grub> help load

Let's see. The "setup" command actually does an install. The "kernel"
command does a load.

It's taken me a long time to find this out, and it's not nice.

I don't say that you shouldn't use grub.  I just say you should not
recommend it to newbies.

--
Gerry Skerbitz
gsker at tcfreenet.org