Perry Hoekstra writes:
> I installed woody as a base system and did a apt-get dist-upgrade to
> move to sarge.  The upgrade went find and I did a '/sbin/lilo' before
> I rebooted for the new 2.4 kernel.  On reboot, the screen started
> scrolling zeros.  Not even a LI which would mean a mis-configured
> LILO. How did I hork up the boot record?

Did you install an initrd kernel and not configure lilo for it?  When you
install a stock 2.4 initrd kernel, it should give you instructions on how to
configure lilo.

> Second question, now that I have reinstalled woody.  I tried to start
> X and it told me no X was available.  A basic install of the desktop
> environment does not give me a basic X, even in VGA mode?

You probably want to upgrade to unstable, as the X server in woody is two
years old.  Install the xserver-xfree86 and xbase-clients packages.

http://people.debian.org/~branden/xsf/FAQ

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/