Tom Penney writes:
> I've always used just grep with the recursive flag like this. I'm
> curious why would others want to complicate things with the find
> command? There must be a reason everyone is suggesting to use find in
> conjunction with grep when grep alone will do. Are they Masochists?
> For style points?

The --recursive option is a GNU extension.  It is not specified by POSIX.

Also, the recursive option of grep is very limited compared to find.  You
can do many, many more things with find.

This is a good example of bloat that UNIX was designed to avoid.  Individual
programs like grep don't need the ability to recursively traverse paths, as
this functionality can be better provided by other programs like find.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/