I'd recommend checking out http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

the SMART package has been an incredible boon to me for diagnosing hard
disk problems.  One caveat, though is that your hard drive must be new
enough to have the SMART extensions.  If your drive is <4 years old, you
should be good to go.  There's even a smartd that you can keep running
that will notify you if one of your disks starts having problems.

I've had quite a bit of experience with this package, and I'd be glad to
answer any questions you have about it.

-Erik