On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Eric Stanley wrote:
> Anybody out there have any experience, good or bad, with the Packet8
> (http://www.packet8.net) service?  At first glance, it looks pretty
> good.

I played around with it; worked fairly well, although I preferred Vonage.

The basic voice quality for both services was about the same. Things
Vonage offered that Packet8 didn't:

- Localized area codes, IE, 952 instead of 612.
- Voicemail that I can access online (play .wav files), and can also
  e-mail me a .wav file.
- Quasi-911 service (not super important, but nice.)
- Virtual phone numbers, so my sister-in-law can call from Tacoma for free
- Call waiting (not of huge importance again)
- Fax line for $10/mo, if I ever decide I need it

If you don't care about any of the above, by all means, go Packet8.  :)