PC: IBM 300PL Type 6862-A7U
	P2 400MHz with 384Meg of RAM
	BIOS set to PNP OS = NO
	Actual chip CS4235-KQ

SuSE shows ISA PnP Cirrus Logic CS4235-9 sound card.

YaST Hardware info shows three instances of:
	Crystal Multimedia audio controller (identical)

"alsaconf" finds CS4236 card

After a reboot, sound is non-functional until after running alsaconf.

While running alsaconf, when process writes to modules.conf, I get an
error message:
aplay:pcm_write:1007:write error:Input/Output error

During playback of test.wav, the system plays the first 0.5 second or
less of the wav file about 10 times then stops. BUT XMMS is able to play
songs, mostly. It sometimes halts for no apparent reason.

Attempt to play test.wav with "aplay", results in same "stutter" of the
wav file.

I'm going bonkers here. I've done the Google search, and didn't come up
with anything helpful. Does anyone have any good advice?

RedHat and Mandrake have a nifty tool called "sndconfig" that worked
wonders with the card, but I forgot to grab that part of the
modules.conf file before wiping it to install SuSE.
--
Todd Young
7079 Dawn Ave. E.