On Wed, 28 May 2003, mjn wrote:

> I have relied on RPMs for updating my RedHat system up until this point
> but need to reinstall Apache and mod_ssl to include a library which broke
> during the last installation.
>
> Is there a suggested way to do this that will make these hand compiled
> packages fold nicely into the RPM database? Say, like compiling the
> package from source and then doing `rpm -i --justdb apache' or something
> like that? Or would be using rpm and specifying different options when
> installing? If that works, what's the best way to install a package you've
> already got on board with different options?

actually ALL rpms are compiled from source, source rpms to be more
specific.

so if you want to add a --enable-crap to yoou ./configure all you have to
do is
rpm -Uvh apache-<blah>.src.rpm
edit the apache.spec file to do your changes
and then rpmbuild it

on the linuxdoc.org there should be a rpm howto, i highly recommend that
you read it and other rpm manuals out there BEFORE attempting it...

Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET

PS. be prepared to create MANY rpms before you get it "right" and do it
on a testing system.