On Tue, 27 May 2003, Austad, Jay wrote:
> So maybe I should just pay the fee, and then sue them in small claims
> court. :)  If nothing else, it will just piss them off and cost them
> money sending someone to appear for them.  Since they do business with
> people in minnesota, I can sue them here.
>
> They probably purposely didn't send me a renewal notice like I usually
> get so they can gouge me on more fees.  Aren't they essentially
> squatting on my domain since they are forcing me to pay to get it back
> from them?  Isn't squatting illegal?

Ah, yeah, if you didn't get a renewal notice, you may actually have a
case.

As I understand it, they registrars do have the right to sit on a domain
for awhile after it's expired, unless you specifically cancelled it - that
way, they can help the customer get it back. Not sure what gives them that
right, but all the registrars do it.