Chad Walstrom writes:
> This is the reason you won't see a binary distribution of qmail in
> Debian.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that:

http://www.smarden.org/pape/Debian/unofficial/why.html

> Instead, Debian distributes a source package for qmail and
> requires you to learn a little about compiling packages to create a
> binary yourself.

I think you're making it more complicated than it needs to be.  I seem to
remember the package building process for those being more automated than
that.  But a far better solution is to use Gerrit Pape's unofficial
packages.  They are legal since they don't have changes like the Debian
ones:

http://www.smarden.org/pape/Debian/

I use all of those on my Debian box and they work quite well.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/