Karl Bongers writes:
> That sounds to me like he is prohibiting you from producing
> modifications.  Which could put you at a disadvantage if you
> build a system around it.

Like what?  If you have a legitimate need for a modification, such as the
QMAILQUEUE patch, then you could ask him for an exception.  He doesn't want
people distributing modified versions for compatibility and reliability
reasons.  When vendors can install things wherever they want, it makes
things difficult for users and people trying to help them.  Vendors could
also break things and give the software a bad name.

You could always go the FreeBSD ports route.  The qmail port installs at
least one patch automatically when building.  This is perfectly legal, since
the patching is done by the end user.  No modified binaries are being
distributed.

The end result here is good: If you install qmail according to the install
instructions or "Life with qmail", it will work.  If you need help with
something, you can be given very specific instructions that will work.  The
same does not hold true for most other software.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/