Karl Bongers writes:
> So if I build a system out of it and then want to distribute it,
> do I need to negotiate with him?

No.  Basically, you can freely distribute binary versions of his software if
installing it produces the same results that would be obtained by installing
it from source.  This includes installation directories (which can actually
be anywhere if symlinks are used).  See his pages for more info:

http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html
http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html

This only covers his software that is not public domain.  The cdb library,
libtai, the djbdns library and all the required libraries (basically all of
them) are public domain.

For the record: I am a fan of Dan Bernstein's work because it is excellent.
His code, writings, math and cryptography work are top-notch.    I also
applaud him fighting for our freedoms in his court case, Bernstein v. United
States.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/