David Phillips said:
> Bob Tanner writes:
>> More or less this tries to verify the sender's address.
>
> Why would you want to do this?  This merely encourages spammers to forge
> real addresses when sending spam, which causes harm to innocent users.
> Or, alternatively, they will start spamming with a null envelope sender
> (I'm surprised more spammers don't do this).  Note that some mail
> servers will verify any address for a domain, even if it doesn't exist.
> qmail does this.

Becuase people often try to send out mail with an errant "From:" setup in
thier mailer and when other folks try to reply it gets bounced. But it
can't bounce because it's an invalid address...

> This isn't a good solution for spam.  It is easy to circumvent.  In
> fact, many spammers already do.  When you keep creating bogus
> "solutions" for spam, you make the solution worse than the problem:

it's not a solution for spam, it's prevention against your users having to
deal with broken addresses and misconfigured MUAs. And yes many spams will
get stopped by it.

> http://cr.yp.to/qmail/antispam.html

blah blah blah djb is the greatest blah blah blah. If i never see another
cr.yp.to link from you on this list it will be too soon.

PLONK!

--
Ben Lutgens
System Administrator