On Tuesday 20 May 2003 12:11 pm, Chris Frederick wrote:
> I know that there's a lot in a laptop that's specific
> to its model and make, but can't you use a hard drive from a different
> manufacturer (say this one
> http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/auction/72856378?aucview=0x17),
> or is the hardware on a laptop so locked together that you're stuck with
> the original manufacturer's parts and high prices?

The IDE interface is generic on modern laptops.  The issue is the connector.
HP/Dell/Gateway/whoever gouge you for huge $$ is they sell the drive inside a
special sled/carrier/cartridge/whatever with the correct adapter/connector to
plug into your brand/model laptop.

You can just take your old drive out of it's carrier and replace it with the
new one.  I've done it many times.  Works great and never had a problem.

> Side note: I know desktop PCs follow a certain form factor (AT/ATX) to
> make sure the parts are compatible, is there anything like that for
> laptops?

Some laptop drives are "double height".  Measure the dimensions on your's and
buy one with the same dimensions.  Although you can usually put a "slim" into
a "double" carrier as long as it has screws (not tension fit).

http://googlegear.com/ is your friend.   40GB for $122  and it's a 5400RPM.
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101606

They have larger drives too.  But cost more. :-)

Then go buy a cheap USB carrier for your old drive and use it as a backup
device:

Most of them will run 4200RPM drives off the USB bus.  I my experience the
5400RPM drives need the power cable.  This one comes with a pass-through PS/2
power cord for drives that need it. Much coolness in that.

http://www.auctionelf.com/torusbhden.html
(Note: this is a USB 1.1 not USB2, those cost more)

Ciao,
--
Christopher Gahlon
 "Friends don't let friends install MS junk!"