On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 01:38:31AM -0500, Mike Hicks wrote:
> Regarding this, one of the more unique tricks I've seen is to pretty
> much shutdown the system but keep the kernel running.  I'm not exactly
> sure how this is done, probably something along the lines of killing
> most of the running software and then convincing init to exec() a
> do-nothing program.  I think it's even possible to run without having a
> filesystem mounted (though it might be nice to at least have a logger of
> some kind running).

[snip]

Yes, if a linux box is shutdown (kill -9 -1), without APM support
(so it doesn't turn it off) and without any pesty init scripts taking down
an interface or whatnot, it will happily continue to route traffic and act
as a NAT gateway or whatnot.

Not very useful for an ipcop box, which usually has an ipsec tunnel or two,
squid, httpd, and a few other things.