On Thu, 15 May 2003, Florin Iucha wrote:
> I would not bet on the data being stored sequentially: the inode
> allocator tries to spread the directory inodes around to reduce
> fragmentation - if you leave some space between directories A and B, A
> can grow without getting fragmented.

Hrm, good point. I'm glad someone knows a bit more about filesystem
internals than I do.  :)

Well, I think I'll let 3ware's 'forced rebuild' run overnight, and see if
it can manage to shuffle together a filesystem that can be mounted again.
If not.. time to download a whole bunch of crap again, and buy some hot
spare disks.