On Wed, 14 May 2003, Joel Wickard wrote:
> I got Highpoint RocketRaid133 card a couple months back.  I got the
> card because it supported linux, but I found out that it didn't have
> exactly the support I was looking for.  It had drivers for Suse and
> Redhat, but only for redhat 7.3, and I wanted to use 8 or 9, which I
> guess isn't a big deal.  I got it working well on RHL9, but I had to
> install the system first, and then build the driver on the running
> system and change fstab to mount the partitions on /dev/sda instead of
> hda, wasn't a huge deal and works well now.

I actually just inhereted a Adaptec 1200A, which as far as I can tell is
just a HighPoint 370A. It looks like the drivers HighPoint provides are
similar to the NVidia drivers - a binary stub file, and then a c wrapper
so you can build it for your current kernel.

I'm going to try both those drivers, and the 'ataraid' drivers in the -ac
tree of the kernel (the ataraid driver is for both the HPT37x cards and
for the el-cheapo Promise raid cards).. it'd be nice if the pure open
source drivers would work.

> In my search for getting that one running however I saw a LOT of
> people posting that 3ware cards were where it's at.

Yeah, like I said in my last post, 3ware rules. Of course, $130 for a
2-channel raid controller or ~$275 for a 4-channel is a bit more cash than
a lot of people want to pay. Just to note, I have yet to find a
Linux-based management tool that I like nearly as much as 3ware's..