Hi everybody,

I did some coding over the last day, extending a little feature of the
'mount' command.  I'm kind of proud of it, though I'm sure it's lack of
polish just highlights the fact that I haven't done any significant
programming for like.. 9 months or so (and even this isn't all that
"significant").

Anyway, I just added onto the mount-by-label support that mount has.
You've been able to mount filesystems by their volume labels for a
while, but only well-thought-out filesystems like ext2/3, reiserfs, etc.
(though mount-by-label support in the current version seems a bit
wonky).  Nobody bothered with vfat support until now.

I figure lots of people will be interested in this for vfat-formatted
media for digital cameras, USB keychain drives, etc., where you don't
always know where a certain removable storage device will show up in
/dev.

I now have a line in my /etc/fstab like this, and it actually works for
my digital camera (A Fuji that shows up as a USB mass storage device):

  LABEL=MHICKS-CAM	/camera	vfat	user,noauto	0	0

No more guessing the device name, and therefore no more need to su to
root to mount and unmount my camera when I copy pictures off of it.

Anyway, some more of the gory details (and some patches, for the brave)
can be found here:

If you do compile new versions of mount and umount, remember to turn on
the SUID bit, so you can mount and unmount filesystems as a user (I
forgot that a couple times when I was testing)..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Error 008: Remove aluminum
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   foil, remote control