> From: Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>

I start with one concrete point of disagreement, but really share your
opinions on this one.

> Yes, Manufacturing and distributing a CD costs about the same as
> manufacturing and distributing a candy bar.

False.  The scale is probably an order of magnitude different.  A new candy
bar will be *expected* to sell in the millions of units, whereas a million
units of a recording is still a pretty good achievement.  The sentiment is
right, just the numbers are off.

A candy bar's costs can be amortized over a long period of time, whereas
most recordings have a high "development" cost and little return.

The economics of the business are further degraded by the speculative
approach to A&R often taken these days, where a lot of money-losing titles
in a labels catalog are subsidized by the one or two big money makers, like
Christina Aguilera or whatever the current tramp-du-jour is.

> The problem is the record companies have been way to greedy for way to
> long.

True.  But this goes back to the 20's, when artists had to sing for each
cylinder that was recorded.  They got caught using pantographs to record
multiple cylinders while only paying the artist for only one performance!

> The artists don't get that much.

True.  It used to be that an artist got about $1 out of $8 for an LP.  When
CD came out, the artist typically got about $1 out of $16.  Initially this
was because CDs *did* cost more to produce that LPs, but when CD costs came
down in the late 80's and early 90's, the artist share didn't change.

> The artists (along with the
> record companies) will pay the price for the record companies greed. But
> everyone will survive in the end. IMHO

Agreed, but it is the consumer as well.  That discussion (A&R and trends in
musical quality) is getting even further off topic than the rest of this
thread, though.

Anyway, .99 for a song is better than $15 for a song and bunch of bad ones,
but heck -- I'm still having trouble finding one that's worth the dollar to
begin with. ;)

Phil Mendelsohn
Owner / Chief Engineer
Hotdish Mastering

 --
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." -- Anonymous