<snip>
So I found two great deals, one for an HP ze5125, the other for a
Compaq 1525us.
</snip>

My .02...

I recently got a ze5155 HP and have been very happy with it
performing to my desires - RH8 was a no-brainer (mild pun
intended), SuSE8.1 would go on but some other issues occurred
(tried 3X - kept obliterating the MBR, so loose everything?!?!),
haven't tried anything else.

The Nat'l Inst NIC built-in works without a hitch.
DVD/CDRW - same.
PCMCIA - same.
Modem - who cares? *shrug*

I got rid of a Compaq 1215US when I got this one and have but one
thing to say - avoid ANYTHING Compaq like the plague it is... I
had Carl help at the last installfest work with me (and finally
just working ON it) for over 2 hours w/ NO luck (well, 'bad' luck
isn't 'no' luck, but you get the idea). EVERYTHING was WinModem in
nature - nic, modem, et al. Install went fine, but at first reboot
KUDZU kicked in and said 'oh! let me configure that!' to
everything and then would never come back - hard lock/no way
out/death and dismemberment - was to follow. After 3 attempts at
it Carl pronounced, "you have a very nice Windows machine". *sigh*

Since HP bought them I don't know, but based on my (very limited!)
exp, steer well-wide of Compaq if it's an issue of a few bucks.

ze5155 stats:
1.8Ghz Intel
512Mb DDRAM
40Gb drive
IEEE Firewire - 1
usb - 1.1 (x2), 2.0 (x1)
32Mb - ATI Radeon (dedicated)
2 PCMCIA slots
built-in floppy
DVD/CDRW combo
15" xga display
irda - don't know if this works either?

Be advised - this is a DESKTOP REPLACEMENT - and all that that
implies. It's a beast at about 8#, uses a Northwood processor
(desktop) so isn't speed-step enabled - it's got about 60-75
minutes unplugged (I use SETI at HOME so the processor is pegged at
100% at all times - if I drop SETI it gets closer to 2 hours). I
wanted the dedicated video (the 4145 AMD equivalent was shared and
have numerous other 'cost-saving' features that put it out of the
running as much as I'd rather have AMD), the firewire (also not in
the 4145), and 'all in one' (4145 = usb floppy).

<end propaganda>

Hope it helps!
Wil