On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 01:29:03PM -0500, Jim Crumley wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 01:19:35PM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 09:22:38PM -0500, Michael Ableyev wrote:
> > > try xhost +localhost
> >
> > ...but only if you want anyone on any machine which can contact yours
> > over the network to have access to your display.
> >
> > If you _must_ use xhost, it's just `xhost localhost`.  No +.
>
> Not quite.
>
> "xhost +localhost" is a synonym for "xhost localhost" and it is
> relatively benign.  Its "xhost +" that is bloody dangerous.  See
> "man xhost" for details.

Never use it myself, but I've been told that `xhost +name` is
equivalent to `xhost + name`, granting universal access.  Even if
that's not correct, it makes sense to leave out the +, since that
makes for less typing and less concern over typos (wouldn't want to
get an unintentional space after the +...).

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that