On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 04:27:10PM -0500, Mike Hicks wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 15:39, Mike Hicks wrote:
> > Also, a bunch of people were interested in a utility that could show the
> > installation history of packages on a system.  This is useful for many
> > people, both from a personal and enterprise perspective.  It's always
> > nice to have some assistance in figuring out what package version was
> > the last one that worked.
>
> Whoops..  Forgot to mention that no one had a good suggestion for
> something that could do this.  If anyone on the list knows something,
> please let us know..

I'll note that aptitude does keep a log (at least the way I have it
configured).  The log file is /var/log/aptitude.  I looks something like
this:

Aptitude 0.2.11.1: log report
Wed Jan 22 17:13:54 2003

IMPORTANT: this log only lists intended actions; actions which fail due
dpkg problems may not be completed.

Will install 2 packages, and remove 1 packages.
16384 bytes of disk space will be used
[INSTALL, DEPENDENCIES] libgc6c102
[REMOVE, DEPENDENCIES] libgc6
[HOLD] boa