Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> Hi LUG,
>
> My brother has a Red Hat 7.3 firewall that loses it's link every once in a while (once every 2 or
> 3 weeks or so) to Comcasts cable internet service. The "cable modem" is an RCA model, but I
> cannot remember the model number. The problem is that it doesn't seem to want to come back up
> without intervention. The connection is configured via DHCP.
>
> I was wondering if this sort of thing happens to any other Linux running users of their service.
>

> Troy

It could be the IP lease timeout, I guess. If not, then just a guess, but I'd think you have a
crappy combination of NIC/driver which bums out on you in certain conditions.
Those are for you to determine, check /var/log/messages for example to see if the nic says why it's
misbehaving.
As reassurance, I can tell you that I have Slackware running on a Toshiba Portege laptop (which
serves as a router) with 2 pcmcia nics, it too, gets its ip via dhcp. Welp, I left it a while ago
and didn't even think of leaving a way for myself to get in. Just recently, I had a friend who
happened to be near my house go in and check on it...  everything's just the way I left it, with the
uptime of about 200 days. That, sir, is on a _laptop_, and yes, there is daily traffic going through
it (so it's not just sitting there blinking the cursor)

Mike