Justin Haaheim writes:
> It would seem to me that there should be a file system map -- perhaps
> a text file in /etc -- that would layout the structure for the
>   filesystem. It could be made to be more specific (i.e. you could
> layout things
> like putting dotfiles into their folder.), but it could also be as
> general as "general-programs: /usr/lib/, general-binaries: /usr/bin/."

Yes, that would be great idea.  Every program should be forced to consult a
non-standard file anytime it needs to access something.

There is a reason symlinks exist.  If everything is not put into a standard
and consistent location, things don't work.  Read this for more info:

http://cr.yp.to/slashpackage/finding.html

http://cr.yp.to/slashpackage/studies.html

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>