The same reason you decided to spend the time to make that little ascii
picture.  ;-)

> #     # #     # #     #  #####
> #  #  # #     #  #   #  #     #
> #  #  # #     #   # #         #
> #  #  # #######    #       ###
> #  #  # #     #    #       #
> #  #  # #     #    #
>  ## ##  #     #    #       #
>
> florin

On a slightly more serious note:
1) users should be able to customize how things are set up on their
computer.  Hell, even windows lets you move around default directories.
2) standardization.  installers should look to one place to find out
where to install themselves instead of assuming or guessing and getting
programs installed in /usr/lib/ and /usr/local etc. etc. (not /etc).

the point is not that we need to change it, its that it should be
dynamic enough so that it's possible.  Laying it out the way I suggested
is just basic abstraction.  Every program shouldn't know where it's
going to be installed on person x's computer.

justin