It would seem to me that there should be a file system map -- perhaps a
text file in /etc -- that would layout the structure for the filesystem.
  It could be made to be more specific (i.e. you could layout things
like putting dotfiles into their folder.), but it could also be as
general as "general-programs: /usr/lib/, general-binaries: /usr/bin/."
 From an organizational standpoint, it would seem to me that this is
something linux should have.  Linux as an os is becoming so flexible and
dynamic that this seems like it should already be implemented.
Implementation is, of course, the problem.  It would require all the
package managers and make installs to look to that /etc file or to env
variables for their install path, and that seems a bit daunting.  I'd be
interested in  helping to develop it (as much as I can) not because
linux needs a different layout, but because it needs to be more dynamic.

cheers
justin