Austad, Jay writes:
> Nagios is a nightmare to administer
> with this many devices (edit 3 config files to add or remove a single
> device)

I'm not familiar with the software, but the solution might be the same as
other software: store the configuration in a database and generate the
config files on the fly from the database.  You can then write a simple web
interface (or command line scripts) to administrate it.

> I could write something if I could
> figure out how to pull info from it, and ideally, I would like it if
> I could make intermapper's traffic polling save the data to an RRD
> database.  Has anyone tried this?

You're probably familiar with MRTG, but MRTG is quite flexible.  It is very
easy to generate data for MRTG from anything (even if it has nothing to do
with traffic graphs).

>  Using Nagios and Cacti, I could very
> easily write something in Perl that would generate a weekly report.
> Still kind of a hack, but at least I would have control over what it
> does.

There's nothing wrong with that.  Finding a product that generates reports
for your specific needs can be hard to find.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/