Thanks for all the suggestions re my installation woes. It turned out that I
had an interrupted installation with all the attending challenges and by
coincidence, a dead floppy drive. Now X configurator wants the refresh rate
and sync rate on my TDK monitor. TDK seems not to support this relic. Is
there a source for that data?

Also, thanks for the suggestion to try Mandrake or a newer version of Red
Hat. I was under the impression that since LINUX is open source, once one has
obtained it, one may always add upgrades via multiple sources. Is this not so?