I can't help much but to say I've installed the Kylix suite a couple
times on various versions of RedHat and never seemed to have any
troubles.  It added entries to the menu and was invocable from the
command line with some appropriate command (like 'kylix').

I've always found IDE's to get in the way (even emacs...), so I can't
tell you much about its operation other than to tell you it just
confirmed my prejudices.

Like most programmers I watched what my fingers wanted to do and then
wrote a programming editor and environment to fit their needs.