Shawn wrote:

>  Typically when I want to forward X, I type in "export
>DISPLAY=ip.address:0.0" and it works fine.  However, I can't figure out
>how to do it in the environment I'm in currently.
>  I ssh into a box behind a firewall (port forwarding to box on DMZ),
>while I also am behind a different firewall for a different network.  If I do a "who -l" I come up with:
>
>sfertch  pts/0    Mar 24 12:29 (firewall.company.com)
>
>If I do a "who -u" I get:
>
>sfertch  pts/0    Mar 24 12:29   .
>
>  If I set my display to the address/name, then try to open up netscape
>for example,

Usually when you check the x forwarding option in putty you don't have
to setup your display at all, putty (or the ssh protocol) handles that
for you under the covers. Did you check to see what your display was set
to as soon as you logged in (ie: before you changed the DISPLAY var)? I
think it should be something like machine:10.0, where machine is the
hostname of the box your accessing.

It's also possible that the admin on the box your trying to tunnell to
has disabled X forwarding for the ssh daemon.