I'd suggest just getting the latest Mandrake. What the latest version again?
Its a great beginning for everyone new to Linux, it has a very easy
installation processes, the packages are sufficient, and while at that topic,
it doesn't have too much bloat. Two things I actually dislike about it, is
the CD layout of the packages (SSHD on disk 3, Apache on disk 2) and the
weird, "advanced" version of Apache.

Anyway, while I ran it for that one week I did, I liked ease of use it
provided. I think every novice should start with it.