'got a question for y'all...

I've got a 56k US Robotics Hardware modem on a machine that I use
sometimes for dial-up.  Without going into a lot of detail (at the
moment) on the chat-scripts and how it's set up, has anyone run into a
condition like mine where dial-up performance is significantly better
through Windows 2000?

I've used this modem both under W2k and RH8.  Disappointing though it is
to admit, it performs superbly under W2k, but it performs slower and
continuously times-out under RH8.  I then have to hang it up and
re-dial.  As I said, it's a hardware modem (NOT a winmodem).  I'll do a
TCP dump on it, and I can see it chugging away until suddenly it slows
down to where it just sends out a few unanswered packets.  Shortly
thereafter, I'll get a browser notification that the connection has been
unexpectedly lost.

I've scoured the internet and finally ran across one post from someone
who was having the same difficulty, but there was no response to his
post so it turned up as a dead end.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone has any ideas or, perhaps, knows the
solution.

Thanks much!

Garrett