I got one of these a few months back, it seems a bit flaky for me
as to when it will work.  I haven't spent much time with it, but
it appears to work when I do the following:
1. connect the usb device with a CF card in.
2. load my usb-controller(modprobe usb-uhci).
My usb-storage is compiled into a custom 2.4.18 kernel.

I can pop out the CF card, put in a new CF card and it still works.
If I disconnect the USB device and reconnect it, it doesn't work.

Sometimes it gives an error on the first mount attempt(mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cf)
but a second attempt works.  When it is working, the green light comes on.

As Jima says, when it is working you should be able to do a fdisk /dev/sda

I couldn't get it to work at all on my Gateway Internet Appliance box.
For that I want to try compiling the usb controller as a module to see if
that changes anything.

I suspect the usb-storage/SanDisk support for this device may be somewhat
experimental, but it may be my wierd kludge boxen as well.  I can try it
on a RH7.3 box with stock kernel tonight.

Also, someone at work here's got one of the older Sandisk readers that I
should take home and compare with to see if it's an issue with the newer
model.  I've read that the older Sandisk USB readers should be stable.

My PCMCIA to CF converter works flawlessly.